Pacific people

Mālo ni, Fakaalofa lahi atu, Kia orana, Tālofa lava, Mālō e lelei, Talofa, Noa'ia, Ni sa bula vinaka, Mauri, Tēnā koutou katoa and warm Pacific greetings.

Emergency block

If you are in immediate danger, call 111 and ask for Police

If it is NOT SAFE TO TALK, PUSH 55. Listen to the instructions.
The operator will ask you to respond using buttons on your phone.

If it is safe to talk, let the operator know which language you speak so they can better assist you.

What is family violence?

Click here for information and support in Sāmoan and Tongan.

Family violence occurs within close personal relationships, such as between partners, parents and children, siblings, and in other relationships where significant others don’t live with you but are part of the family. In New Zealand, family violence is against the law.

Family violence affects the safety and wellbeing of our families. It can often be subtle, hidden, or normalised. Your partner might have traditional views and expects you to stay home and look after the family. They might get angry and use violence if you don’t behave how they want you to.

Your partner or family members might view their abusive behaviour as ‘normal,’ especially when it is accepted in your community or in another country. When violence is normalised, it can become difficult to recognise that this behaviour is not ok and reach out for help.

Remember, you deserve to be safe in your relationships.

It's ok to ask for help

Your safety, and the safety of those around you, is the most important thing.

If this is an emergency, go somewhere safe. If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, call 111 and ask for the Police. If it is unsafe to talk, press 55.

If you feel safe to do so, reach out to a close friend or family member, church member, or community member who can:

  • listen to you, and help you decide what you want to do.
  • support you to find information that can help you to make decisions that are right for you.

It is normal to feel anxious or worried about what could happen if you tell someone about what you are experiencing.

If you do not feel comfortable talking to someone you know, there are support services that can help.

Find support

Call a helpline for immediate support

  • 0800 456 450call us for 24/7 specialist advice and support in over 40 languages. You can also use the chat function on this website to talk to someone now.
  • 0800 REFUGE (0800 733 843) for 24/7 crisis support, advocacy and safe accommodation for women and children experiencing family violence.

Contact Pacific support services

Find a list of Pacific family violence support services across the country in the resource below.